Physical therapy (physiotherapy) is a health profession that assesses and provides treatment to individuals to develop, maintain and restore maximum movement and overall well-being. This includes providing treatment in circumstances where movement and function are threatened by aging, injury, disease, motor vehicle accidents or environmental factors. The practice of physiotherapy is drug-free.
Physiotherapists are skilled in the assessment and management of a broad range of conditions; plan a suitable course of action and to implement that plan using a variety of techniques which could involve a combination of activities including: hands-on treatment, specific exercise instruction to address muscle imbalances and joint problems, and a wide variety of other techniques. Additionally, education to the client is always provided in order to assist the individual in understanding their condition and preventing it from re-occurring.
Physiotherapy – What to Expect?
The physiotherapist begins an assessment with a series of questions that may include your health history, evaluation of pain and movement patterns, strength, joint range of motion, onset and severity of symptoms, reflexes, sensation and cardio respiratory status. Additionally, a thorough screening of medical history relevant to this condition is conducted before the physical examination takes place.
Based on this assessment, your physiotherapist will establish a diagnosis and work in partnership with you to develop an individualized treatment program and prognosis.
Patient-Centered Care InvolveSome treatment options:
- Manual therapy – intervention to reduce pain and stiffness
- Strengthening and therapeutic exercise programs
- Mobility and flexibility improvement
- Improvements in muscle imbalances and alignment
- Balance retraining and movement coordination
- Electrical modalities such as TENS,IFT, LASER therapy, Ultrasound or Paraffin Wax Bath
- Soft Tissue Work (deep friction massage) – scar tissue breakdown
- Gait retraining and general conditioning regimes